by: Auto Giant
Does your brake pedal feel spongy or travel too far!
Well at Auto Giant we pride ourselves on keeping you safe so below you will find some important information on the causes of why brake fluid needs to be regularly changed.
Causes of brake fluid deterioration
- Spongy brake pedal
- Long travel on the brake pedal application
- Brake pedal goes to the floor
- Moisture from the atmosphere.
- Reduced fluid’s boiling point
- Brake system component corrosion
- Heat generated from the brakes can cause water-logged fluid to boil, which causes sudden and unexpected brake failure.
We at Auto Giant Recommend that brake fluid needs to be changed at regular intervals especially in newer vehicles due to the new technology in ABS brake systems.
- Every 2 years or 40,000klms whichever comes first irrespective of kilometers travelled.
- More frequent replacement occurs if you are towing carrying heavy loads or in extreme conditions
Information for you
It’s normal for brake fluid reservoirs to require an occasional top up; however, any vehicle demanding frequent refilling needs professional investigation as a leak may have developed.